Sunday, November 21, 2010

A few thoughts off the hook

Oh, I'm so clever. ^_^

I've been sitting here making doll parts for about an hour now. Making the parts is fun, but with the way my mind works, it's really only half of what I feel I should be doing at any time - in other words, I can't JUST crochet. The repetitive, almost soothing work puts my mind in a lull, and I end up thinking about all the things I'm not doing - dishes, eating, running around outside, programming - because my hands are full.

Luckily, not every interesting distraction requires my hands. So a while back, I bought a book-stand, so that I could read and work at the same time. That made everything easier (except my wallet, as I started to read like a starving bookworm again!), and I was able to keep both my mind and my hands occupied.

I can only read while I am crocheting, though. If I need to stitch dolls together, or attach and style hair, I end up looking down too often to really follow a book; by the time I figure out what line I was reading, it's time to look at the sewing again! So often, if I'm going to be sewing, I'll put in a DVD or listen to an audio-book on my iPod, so I can still get some of that story-time that my brain needs.

After I finish this post I'll be reading the end of Katharine Kerr's epic Deverry series. The last book in the series was recently released on paperback, so I'm starting at book 12 (of 15 total) and working my way forward again. These are some of my favorite books, so if you like fantasy novels, these come highly recommended!

(That probably wasn't a super interesting blog, but I'm new at this, so there.)

 - Jenn

1 comment:

  1. I can understand the feeding of the mind while the hands are busy. In my case it is when I am knitting.

    ReplyDelete