Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The PR Pikachus Behind the Plushies

Hey guys, I'm Casey and I'm the PR Lady of this business. It's hard to think of plushies as 'srs business,' however. Stuffed things have always been a big part of my life, as I've been an avid Pikachu collector for about a decade now.

Many years ago my mother took me to a fair, and I was walking by a game booth when I saw a Pikachu hanging up as one of the prizes. A little boy coming from the other side saw it as well, and alerted his dad. The game to win it? Billiards. In order to win the Pikachu someone had to sink all 8 balls, 8-ball last, with no misses or scratches. The dad confidently went first, but was quickly deflated when he only sunk one ball before he missed. My mother went up to try and she couldn't help but smirk. She lined up every shot perfectly and the man running the game gave me my Pikachu with a look of shock and awe that I'll never forget. My mother is crazy-awesome.

A few years later I began attending anime conventions. After every con I came home with a new Pikachu. As I got older some of my friends held on to their love of Pokemon while others asked if I wanted their old Pikachus before their mothers cleaned out the attic. Now I have 40+ Pikachus, and they hang out in every room of my apartment. That also all have names.


 This is Jinglechu, as he jingles when you shake him. He hangs out next to my boyfriend's laptop.

 This is Fatachu, who hangs out on top of my fabric cabinet.

 This is Grabachu. He has wires in his arms so I can clip him on to almost anything. Right now he is, quite literally, hanging out under my kitchen cabinets.

 This is Sunnychu. She got her name because she is a more golden tone than most Pikachus. I put her next to the artificial sun lamp by my snake tank. This was fine until Jenn pointed out that Sunnychu was watching me feed mice to my snake. ;_;

 This is Pikayell, and he can shout out battle cries if you push his arm down. He hangs out on top of the bookcase with my boyfriend's mech because, hey, I can't do ALL the nerdy decorating.

 Did you think I was kidding when I said ALL the rooms? This is Pikaclassic. Pikachu's very first design gave him a white blush across his cheeks. 

 My boyfriend named this little girl "Lemonchu" because it looks like she just ate a lemon. Therefore she chills out on top of the microwave and watches over my cooking.

 We just call this guy Pikaface because, seriously, lookit dat face. He was put on the arm of this couch so no one would notice it was ripped. 

This is Pikabox. We like to think he is powering our gaming addiction. 
 This is Pikapillow. Uh... he messed up the bed... not me. Yeah...

This one is Prone-achu because she was stuffed so that she's always on her belly. She watches me do my makeup in the morning.

And these are just some of them. I am 23 now and all they still make me incredibly happy. I hope you have something like that in your life, and feel free to share what it is in the comments! I'm sure the tattoo artist will look at me funny when I hand him or her a picture of Pikachu, but it'll be a very happy day for me.

Power to the plushies.
~Caseychu

No comments:

Post a Comment